This easy broccoli and cheese soup is creamy, rich, and very filling. A real comfort food, this satisfying vegetarian soup will become your favorite if you love cheese.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I prefer light clear soups over rich creamy ones but this cheddar broccoli soup is an exception. Despite being very rich and filling it’s one of my favorite soups. This cheesy, creamy, thick soup is an epitome of comfort.
Whether you like broccoli or not, do try this broccoli cheese soup- you will love it. It’s so delicious.
As the days will start getting colder this cheesy broccoli soup will become even more enjoyable.
Tips & Tricks
- To make the soup more creamy, you can also add potatoes to it. When the potatoes get cooked, blend it. Add broccoli and carrots after that.
- Use full cream milk for extra creaminess in the soup.
- Instead of milk, cream can also be added. However, since the soup is already thick and rich, I would recommend full cream milk instead of cream.
- Use a good quality cheese to get that strong cheddar flavor.
- If you don’t like vegetable pieces in your soup, blend it and enjoy a smooth creamy soup.
- All the cheese lovers for whom only cheddar is not enough, a combination of cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan can be added too.
- For some heat, add chili flakes to the soup.
How to store
This soup will be fine in the fridge for up to 3 days. In fact, the taste of cheese and mustard will become stronger the next day so it will taste even better.
Because it has cheese in it, I won’t recommend freezing cheddar broccoli soup.
Ingredients required and substitute suggestions
This broccoli and cheese soup recipe requires the following 13 ingredients:
- Cheddar cheese
- Full cream milk
- Vegetable stock
- All-purpose flour
- Mustard powder
- Ground black pepper
More easy soup recipes
If you liked this broccoli cheddar soup recipe, don’t miss to check my following easy soup recipes:
- Vegan pumpkin soup
- Carrot ginger soup
- Spiced chickpea and sweet potato soup
- Mexican black bean soup
- Roasted tomato and red pepper soup
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Easy broccoli and cheese soup
- 0.5 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 0.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.5 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 0.5 teaspoon mustard powder adjust as per taste
- Ground black pepper as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Heat a pan and add butter to it. When the butter melts add onion and garlic. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add all-purpose flour and stir for about a minute or until the flour is no longer raw.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir continuously until the flour gets completely mixed without any lumps.
- Throw in broccoli and carrot. Mix, and cover the pan. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Next add milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and mustard. Mix and let the soup simmer.
- Finally, add cheddar, mix and switch off the gas. Serve and enjoy!
- Use full cream milk in this recipe.
- Instead of milk, cream can also be added.
- You can also add parmesan and mozzarella along with cheddar in this recipe.
- Use good quality cheese for a strong cheddar taste.