This tomato puff pastry tart is a mini summer tart recipe that has a delicious combination of crisp and flaky puffs, juicy cherry tomatoes, and creamy cheese. It's a quick and easy vegetarian recipe that gets ready in just 25 minutes!
When my mother was pregnant with me, tomato was the only thing that she could eat happily without feeling sick. She used to sprinkle just some salt and pepper on tomatoes and eat them. I also love tomatoes and my mother often says that it could be one of the reasons why I love them so much.
I like almost every dish that has tomato in it and the recipe which I am sharing here is one of my favorite tomato recipes- Tomato puff pastry tart.
It's very easy to make, gets ready within 25 minutes, and tastes amazing.
The combination of crisp and flaky puffs, juicy tomatoes, and creamy cheese makes it a very delightful dish.
If you are looking for some refreshing summer puff pastry tart recipes then you should definitely try this savory tomato feta tart recipe.
What goes in these tomato puff pastry tarts?
- Puff pastry: I have used puff pastry squares, if you don't have them cut the large sheet into smaller pieces. You can also make one big tart if you want.
- Tomatoes: I prefer cherry tomatoes in these tomato tarts. However, you can use any other variety of tomatoes too. A variety of different tomatoes can also be used. Don't use a very juicy tomato otherwise they will make the tart soggy or, you may remove some juice before putting them on the puff pastry sheet.
- Cheese: Instead of Mozzarella you can also use any other melting cheese. I would recommend not skipping feta cheese as it gives these tarts a fresh taste that's perfect for summers.
- Herbs: Use any combination of dried herbs as per your preference.
How to make (step-by-step instructions)?
Step 1: Cut the tomatoes in half.
Step 2: Add herbs, pepper, salt, garlic, and olive oil. Gently mix and keep aside.
Step 3: Spread baking paper on a baking tray and put the puff pastry squares on it.
Step 4: Mark around a 0.5-inch border on each square. Prick the center with a fork so that it rises lesser than the border.
Step 5: Spread some shredded mozzarella cheese in the center.
Step 6: Top it with feta cheese.
Step 7: Put cherry tomatoes on top.
Step 8: Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 15-17 minutes or until the puffs turn golden brown.
Your delicious crispy feta tomato tarts with puff pastry are ready to be enjoyed!
These tomato cheese tarts taste the best if served warm.
As a snack, you enjoy them just like that or with a dipping sauce of choice.
For lunch or dinner, you can serve some grilled vegetables, a salad or a soup on the side.
How to store?
To store the leftover tomato tarts, allow them to reach room temperature, wrap individually in aluminum foil or put them in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Reheat them before serving.
How to reheat?
To reheat, take out the tarts from the fridge and allow them to reach room temperature first.
Preheat an oven at 200°C (around 400°F). Line a baking tray with a baking sheet. Place the tarts on top and bake for 10 minutes or until nicely heated.
Recipe tips and tricks
- While thawing the puff pastries, don't keep them directly on a surface or on top of each other. Spread them in a single layer and always put parchment paper on the surface where you are putting them for thawing otherwise, they will stick to each other or to the surface.
- Always prick the center of the pastry before baking so that the area where you are putting the filling doesn't rise above the edges.
- Instead of keeping the puffs open you can lift one corner of the pastry puff, join it with the opposite side, and seal, before baking.
- You can add more ingredients like olives, caramelized onions, zucchini, and chopped pepper to create different versions of these tomato puff tarts.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, if you want, you can skip the cheese or use any other cheese of choice.
Unfortunately no, these tarts don't freeze well because of the cherry tomatoes used in them.
More easy tomato recipes
If you are a tomato lover too and looking for ideas to cook some easy and delicious tomato recipes then don't miss to check the following links:
Tomato puff pastry tart
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Add dried herbs, pepper, salt, garlic, and olive oil. Gently mix and keep aside.
- Spread a baking sheet on a baking tray and put the puff pastry squares on it.
- Mark around a 0.5-inch border on each square. Prick the center with a fork so that it rises lesser than the border.
- Spread some mozzarella cheese in the center. Top it with feta cheese and then tomatoes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (or 400°F) for 15-17 minutes or until the puffs turn golden brown.
- Instead of mozzarella, you can also use any melting cheese of your choice.
- Though cherry tomatoes are the best for this recipe, slices of any type of tomato can be used too.
- More recipe tips and tricks are given within the post above. please follow them to make this recipe.