A delicious vegan Chinese stir fry made with tofu, mushroom, sprouts & bok choy, this recipe gets ready within minutes. A great side dish for Chinese food.
One of the many advantages of working with a Multinational Team when you are a foodie too is that you get to taste the authentic home cooked food from different countries and also learn their secret cooking tips and tricks.
I shared the recipe of Hot tofu bites a while ago where I applied the tips of making tofu taste better learned from a Chinese colleague.
Today I am sharing another Chinese recipe learned from her.
It’s a quick, delicious and healthy recipe- Tofu-sprouts stir fry with veggies. I have added Bok Choy to this recipe, if you couldn’t find it, add spinach.
This is a perfect side dish which you can serve with soup, noodles or rice. You can also enjoy it as a healthy snack.
Though fried tofu is easily available in most of the Asian stores, I prefer baking tofu at home and storing it in the fridge so that when in hurry, I can quickly prepare a noodle soup with tofu or some stir fries using them.
In the Nasi Goreng recipe, I have marinated tofu in grated, ginger, salt and oil but you can skip ginger when you want to store baked tofu.
I love all Chinese stir fries as they are very easy to cook, quick and full of flavors but this recipe is one of my favorites.
Stir-frying is originally a Chinese way of cooking which has now become very popular in the entire world.
Who doesn’t love a piping hot Chinese stir fry, full of flavors, coming out from a large wok?
However, to make a perfect crispy, crunchy, delicious stir fry you need to follow some simple steps which I am sharing with you today:
How to make perfect Chinese stir fries at home:
- Always use a large wok for your stir-fries. You can never make a good stir fry in a small pot as you need space to continuously move the ingredients nicely. In a small pan, the ingredients will get piled up over each other and so will get steamed and soggy. You can’t make crunchy stir fries in a small pot. If you like Chinese stir-fries and don’t have a large wok at home then do invest in one. You won’t regret it.
- Do stir-fry over high heat. Use the highest heat option of your cooking stove. But then don’t leave the ingredients unattended on high heat. To avoid distractions, do all the cutting, chopping in advance and keep your ingredients ready.
- Start with adding the aromatics like ginger-garlic. Saute them only for a few seconds till they become fragrant otherwise, they will burn.
- Add the ingredient which takes the highest time to cook first. Like in this recipe I have added mushrooms first.
- The ingredients which you want to keep crunchy shall be added at the end. Even sauces shall be added to the dish before you add the crunchy ingredients. Like in this recipe, I have added bok choy and sprouts after the sauce.
Follow these simple steps and you will never again order a Chinese stir fry from outside.
Please let me know which is your favorite Chinese stir fry recipe, I would love to try it (of course if it’s vegetarian).
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Quick Chinese Stir Fry-Tofu, sprouts with veggies:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Making time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- Baked/fried Tofu: 1 cup
- Diced mushrooms: 1 cup
- Mung Bean sprouts: 1.5 cups
- Boy choy/ spinach(roughly chopped): 1.5 cups
- Grated ginger: 1 teaspoon
- Grated garlic: 1 teaspoon
- Chopped red/ green chilies: 1 teaspoon/ as per taste
- Vegan oyster sauce: 1.5 tablespoons
- Black pepper powder: ½ a teaspoon/ as per taste
- Salt: as per taste
- Cooking oil: 1.5 tablespoons
- Heat a large wok and add oil to it. Add in the grated ginger and garlic. Saute for few seconds till they become fragrant.
- Add the mushroom and stir fry for around 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix.
- After that add bok choy/ spinach, chopped chilies and sauté for around a minute.
- Next, add in the sprouts and tofu, mix everything nicely and stir fry for around a minute.
- Switch off the gas and serve with noodles/ soup/ rice or enjoy as a snack.