Easy black-eyed pea salad- a delicious protein-rich vegan and gluten-free salad that's perfect for every season. The combination of soft creamy beans, crunchy vegetables, and a refreshing flavorful dressing is loved by everyone.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the most popular recipes on my blog is Middle Eastern Bean Salad- Balela. It's a very tasty, healthy, and easy to make bean salad that's made with two different types of beans-kidney beans and chickpeas.
It's one of my favorite bean salads and I also receive a lot of positive feedback on that recipe from my readers.
Today, I am sharing another very easy bean salad recipe that I love- easy black-eyed beans salad. It's very tasty, healthy and filling. The combination of soft creamy beans, crunchy vegetables, and a refreshing flavorful dressing is loved by everyone.
It's a vegan and gluten-free salad. This black-eyed pea salsa is perfect for picnics and potlucks.
What goes in black-eyed pea salad?
The following ingredients are required to make this bean salad:
- Black-eyed beans: Home-cooked/ canned
- Tomato: Use any variety of your choice. Cherry tomatoes can be used too.
- Bell pepper: Green/ red/ yellow/ orange, use whichever is available.
- Red onion
- Garlic: Garlic powder can be used too
- Lemon: Lemon juice and zest both will be used in the recipe
- Jalapeno: Fresh/ canned both are fine.
- Fresh herbs: I have used fresh cilantro and spring onion green. Use whatever you prefer like parsley or dill.
- Olive oil: Use a good quality extra virgin love oil.
- Brown sugar: Give a very nice caramel taste to the salad and also balances its flavors. Though dark brown sugar tastes the best in this salad, you can also use any other sweetener of your choice. However, add the sweetener in a very small quantity. We want only a hint of sweetness in the salad.
- Chili flakes: Gives a nice kick to the salad
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make it?
- To make this easy and healthy black-eyed beans salad first, prepare the dressing by mixing lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, minced garlic, brown sugar, chili flakes, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Finely chop the onion, cucumber, tomato, bell peppers, jalapeno, and coriander leaves.
- Put the beans, all the chopped vegetables, and herbs in a large bowl. Pour the salad dressing and toss.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to cook dried beans at home?
Though you can make this black-eyed pea salad with canned beans, I prefer and recommend using home-cooked dried beans. It's healthier and tastier.
If you have never cooked beans at home, try it- it's very easy to do and home-cooked beans always taste better than the canned ones.
To cook dried beans at home, wash them and soak in water for at least 7 hours or overnight. To fasten the process soak the beans in hot water.
After 7 hours put the soaked beans along with the water in which it's soaked, in a pressure cooker. Cook until 3-4 whistles. Black-eyed beans get cooked faster than the other beans. You can also cook in a normal pot but it will take around 1 hour to get cooked.
Once cooked strain the beans. Don't discard the water- use it in your stews or knead the flour with it to make chapati dough.
Use cooked beans in any dish you want.
Recipe tips & tricks
- If using canned peas, drain and rinse it to remove the smell. It will make the salad taste fresher.
- If cooking the beans at home, make sure not to over-cook it otherwise the beans will turn mushy spoiling the whole dish.
- You can also use balsamic vinegar in the dressing.
- Add corn kernels, mango, pineapple, or chopped avocado to make it yummier and healthier.
- If you don't like cilantro, use fresh parsley, dill, or any other fresh herb of your choice.
- This salad can also be made using any other type of bean or a combination of different beans.
More easy and healthy salad recipes
If you enjoy eating filling, refreshing, and delicious salads then don't miss to check my following easy and healthy salad recipes from around the world:
More black eyed pea salad
Looking for ideas to add black eyed pea to your diet? Don't miss to check the following recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to share your feedback and rate the recipe in the comments section below.
Easy black eyed pea salad
- 3 cups black-eyed pea home-cooked/ canned
- 1 medium-sized tomato finely chopped
- 1 small-sized red onion finely chopped
- 1 small-sized cucumber finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno fresh/ pickled
- 1/2 cup green onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely chopped
Ingredients for dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar or any other type of sugar you prefer
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt & pepper as per taste
- Mix all the ingredients of dressing in a bowl and keep aside.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Enjoy!
- Both home cooked and canned black-eyed beans are fine to be used in this recipe. If using canned beans, drain the liquid. If cooking at home, don't overcook otherwise it will turn mushy in the salad.
- Adjust the quantity of seasoning as per your taste.
- Any sweetener can be added to this salad but I would recommend using dark brown sugar, not only it gives a nice taste but a rich color to the salad too.