Crunchy, flavorful, and delicious- this Vegan Thai Cabbage Salad has ingredients like vegetables, ripe mango, roasted peanuts, etc tossed in a creamy peanut butter dressing.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love eating salads but know many people who think that salads are boring and bland. So, if you also fall in that category or know some who hates salad then you must try this salad. The opinion of everyone who doesn't like salad will change after eating this Thai cabbage salad.
And, if you already love salads then this will be a delightful recipe for you.
Type of Thai salads
There are different varieties of salads in Thai cuisine and almost none of them is vegan and vegetarian because of the fish sauce used in the dressing.
Thai salads are divided into four main categories:
- Yam: Yam style salads are made with different proteins, vegetables, fruits, noodles, and herbs served with a dressing made from shallots, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chili peppers.
- Tam: Tam salads are made with unripe papaya with a dressing containing lime juice, fish sauce, dried shrimp, sugar, garlic, chili peppers, and sugar.
- Lap/ Larb: Lap salads are made with ground dry roasted glutinous rice and a dressing of lime juice, fish sauce, ground dried chilis, and sugar.
- Phla: Phla salad is made with different types of proteins mixed with a dressing made from shallots, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chili peppers.
Thai salads are normally served as a main course dish and even enjoyed as a snack.
Since my Thai salad recipe is vegan you cannot call it an authentic Thai salad recipe. But, it's no less delicious than an authentic non-vegetarian Thai Salad. Lack of meat or fish makes it taste fresher and that makes it even tastier.
More Vegan Thai recipes
If you too are a big fan of Thai food and want to try it at home then don't miss to try the following easy vegan Thai recipes on my blog:
- Thai stir-fried mushrooms
- Thai curry noodles
- Vegan Pad Thai
- Mango sticky rice
- Thai green curry
- Thai red curry
- Mango Sago dessert
More vegan salad recipes
The best season to enjoy refreshing salads are here. If you are looking for ideas to try different salads from around the world this summer, don't miss to try the following recipes:
- Vegan Quinoa salad - America
- Peanut salad-India
- Mshosh-lentil salad- Armenia
- Tabbouleh- Middle East
- Potato salad-Greece
- Carrot Salad-France
- Bean Salad-Balela-Middle East
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Thai cabbage salad
- 1.5 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1.5 cups shredded napa cabbage use regular green cabbage if napa cabbage is not available
- 0.5 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 0.5 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 0.5 cup chopped ripe mango
- 0.5 cup chopped spring onion green
- 0.5 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 0.5 teaspoon finely chopped Thai red chili optional
- 0.5 cup roasted peanuts
Ingredients for dressing
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- ½ tbsp maple syrup/ palm sugar non-vegans may also use honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar/ white vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha/ any other hot sauce adjust as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Put all the vegetables and peanuts in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all the ingredients of dressing until it turns smooth.
- Pour the dressing over salad. Toss well. Garnish with more crushed peanuts and serve.