Green peas soup is a light, comforting vegan soup recipe which can be enjoyed at anytime of the year. Very easy to make this soup can be made with fresh as well as frozen peas.
The weather in Dubai is great these days. When most of the people at other places in the world are struggling with cold, people of Dubai are enjoying spring-like time. However, when most of the countries will start enjoying spring we will be living in an extremely hot summer.
Before this beautiful weather drifts away I thought of making a soup that is perfect for spring- Green Peas Soup. The beautiful bright green color of the soup goes perfectly with the weather.
This is one of those soups like Mushroom Tom Yum Soup, which can be equally enjoyed at any time of the year. So, no matter which season you are living in just make a bowl of this comforting green peas soup and enjoy.
What type of peas to use in this soup?
If you can find fresh peas there’s nothing like that. However, it can also be made with frozen or canned peas. Since fresh peas are not easily available in Dubai, I have used frozen peas here.
Herbs to be added to green peas soup
I believe that depending on your taste you can always modify the type and amount of herbs and seasonings used in any recipe. So feel free to change the herbs/ seasoning in this recipe too.
I have used mint, basil, coriander leaves, and spring onion to flavor this soup. If you don’t like coriander or any other herb, either skip it or replace it with something else that you prefer.
How to serve peas soup?
To serve the green peas soup just drizzle some olive oil or fresh lemon juice, sprinkle freshly ground pepper, add some blanched peas and enjoy!
You can serve some garlic bread or a fresh salad like Fattoush on the side.
An interesting fact about green peas
Did you know that the oldest evidence of people eating peas was found in the starch embedded in the teeth of Neanderthals dated around 46, 000 years ago? That of course was the wild variety of green peas we eat now.
More, easy vegan soup recipes:
Can’t have enough soup recipes? Don’t miss to check my following easy vegan soup recipes from around the world:
- White bean soup (Greece)
- Black Bean Soup (Mexico)
- Khow Suey (Burma)
- Ash-e-Reshteh (Iran)
- Spiced Chickpea and sweet potato Soup (Morocco)
- Lentil Soup (Lebanon)
- Veg Manchow Soup
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Green Peas Soup?
Green Peas Soup
- 4 cups frozen green peas you can use fresh or canned also
- 1 medium-sized onion roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 green chili roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup scallion roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves roughly chopped
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves you can also use dry mint
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves you can also use dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bouillon cube
- 4 cups water adjust to get the required consistency
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice adjust as per taste
- Heat oil in a pot and add chopped garlic cloves. Saute for a few seconds or till they become fragrant.
- Add chopped onion and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Next, add thyme, ground pepper, veg bouillon, and salt. Mix and saute for a few seconds.
- Add green peas and all the herbs, green chili, mix and saute for around 2-3 minutes before adding the water.
- Boil till peas are cooked and then with the help of a hand blender, blend the soup till it becomes smooth.
- Check and adjust the seasoning. Cover the pot and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the gas, add fresh lemon juice, sprinkle some freshly ground pepper and enjoy!
- Saute the peas and herbs for a few minutes before adding the water. It will bring out the flavors of these ingredients and the soup will taste a lot more flavorful.
- If you can't find fresh herbs, use dry ones. However, adding fresh ones will give a very nice bright green color to the soup.