This delicious vegan black bean soup is very easy to make and gets ready within 30 minutes. It’s a perfect comforting soup recipe for the colder days ahead.
Soups are loved by everyone in my family so made quite frequently in my kitchen. Now that the weather in Dubai has also started to change, a delicious, satisfying bowl of soup has become even more enjoyable. So, you will be seeing more frequent soup recipes getting posted on my blog.
Today I am sharing a very easy Mexican soup recipe- Vegan black bean soup. This soup is also gluten-free and made with the most basic ingredients which are generally very easily available to everyone.
Type of bean to be used in this bean soup
In Dubai, black bean is not easily available so if I spot them in a store, I buy in bulk. If finding black bean is a challenge for you too, you can make a similar soup by using either kidney bean or red bean in this recipe. Of course, it won’t be a black bean soup but it will be another delicious vegan bean soup quite similar to this one.
Being an Indian I prefer using raw beans, soaking it and then boiling it before using it in any dish. I find it tastes much better than canned beans. However, if you want you can use canned or frozen beans also.
What goes with this easy black bean soup?
This soup is very filling so you don’t need anything elaborate to serve with it. Just some toasted bread or tortilla will do good. Even a fresh and light salad like Fattoush may go really well with this vegan soup.
I love adding some fresh salsa and crushed tortilla chips on top of my bean soup as it tastes divine with these toppings.
How to save the leftovers?
You can save the leftover bean soup in the fridge for around 3 days and in the freezer for around 3 months.
Some useful notes to make this vegan bean soup
This soup can be used in a normal pot, pressure cooker, instant pot, slow cooker whatever you prefer depending on how much time you have, and what tools are available in your kitchen. I boil my beans in the pressure cooker and then cook the soup in a heavy bottom pot.
Even the texture of this soup can be varied based on your liking. For example:
- Once the soup is ready, you can enjoy it just like that.
- If you prefer a smooth, creamy bean soup, blend it completely with a hand blender or a food processor.
- You can also choose a path in between which is my favorite way of enjoying this soup. For that, once the soup is ready just put a few ladles in a food processor, allow it to reach room temperature and then add back the paste to the broth. This will give you a creamy base with vegetable and bean chunks to enjoy.
I love a spicy bean soup so add a lot of chopped jalapeno to it. If you want it milder, either reduce the quantity, use a milder pepper or completely skip it depending on your heat tolerance level.
More easy vegan bean soups:
There is something so satisfying about bean soups that I have never found anyone who doesn’t love it. If you also enjoy bean soups then don’t miss to check the following recipes on my blog?
More Vegan Mexican recipes:
If you are also a Mexican food lover and looking for some Vegan Mexican recipes, then don’t miss to check out the following easy vegan Mexican recipes:
- Vegan burritos recipe with cilantro lime rice and black bean
- Vegan Burritos with bean rice & mushrooms
- Vegan Chili…an American bowl of comfort
- Easy salsa recipe (Pico de gallo)
- Mexican Vegetable couscous recipe
- Vegan Mexican rice
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Vegan Black Bean Soup?
Vegan Black Bean Soup
perfect comforting and filling recipe for colder days ahead.
- 3 cups black beans boiled/ canned
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped, adjust the quantity as per your heat preference.
- 4-5 garlic cloves finely chopped/ grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4.5 cups water adjust the quantity to get the desired consistency.
- Juice of 1/2 a lime adjust as per your taste
Garnish suggestions (Optional)
- Fresh Salsa
- Tortilla chips
- Chopped/ sliced avocado
- Heat oil in a pot. Add chopped onions and saute till they become translucent.
- Next, add the garlic and bay leaf, continue to saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add the celery, saute for about a minute before adding the bell peppers. Saute for 2-3 minutes and then add bouillon, salt, and all the other seasoning. Saute for a few seconds.
- Now add the black beans, mix and cook for about 2 minutes. Take around 3 ladles of beans, put in the grinder with 2 tablespoons of water and make a smooth paste. Add this paste and water back to the pot.
- Let the soup simmer for another 10-12 minutes. Switch off the gas.
- Squeeze in fresh lime juice. Garnish with some salsa and tortilla chips. Enjoy!