Tofu and broccoli stir fry in peanut sauce- a quick and easy plant-based Asian recipe that gets ready in just 30 minutes! The combination of crunchy broccoli and slightly chewy tofu in a flavorful creamy peanut sauce makes everyone fall in love with this dish.
If you love Asian food and looking for some easy plant-based Asian stir fry recipes to try at home then this tofu broccoli stir fry recipe is perfect for you.
It has a simple creamy homemade stir fry peanut sauce which goes really well with tofu and broccoli.
This dish is a combination of different flavors and textures- it's savory, slightly sweet, slightly spicy, creamy, crunchy, and slightly chewy. This delicious amalgamation makes it loved by everyone.
What goes in this tofu broccoli stir fry?
To make this tofu broccoli in peanut sauce you will need the ingredients shown below:
- Tofu: Firm tofu (not extra firm) is the best type of tofu for this recipe.
- Peanut butter: I use creamy peanut butter to make Asian peanut stir fry sauce. However, it's also fine to use crunchy peanut butter. Try using a peanut butter with no added sugar and salt.
How to make (step by step process)?
Step 1: Wrap the tofu block in a thick paper towel and then press to remove excess moisture.
Step 2: Remove the towel and cut the tofu block into bite-size cubes. Add oil, salt, and pepper. Toss.
Step 3: Spread the tofu cubes on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
Step 4: Bake in a pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
Steps 5 and 6: Heat oil in a wok. Add broccoli florets and saute on a medium flame for around 10-12 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl and keep aside.
Steps 7 and 8: In a bowl, mix peanut butter, minced ginger and garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili sauce, vinegar, sugar, chopped red chilies, and some salt. Mix everything.
Step 9: Heat a wok and add peanut butter mixture to it. Add around ¼ cup of boiling water.
Step 10: Mix everything and cook until the peanut butter melts and the sauce starts simmering.
Steps 11 and 12: Add baked tofu and broccoli.
Steps 13 and 14: Mix everything.
Step 15: If the sauce is very thick, add some hot water to get the desired consistency.
Step 16: Garnish with roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and chopped scallions.
Your delicious stir-fried tofu broccoli in peanut sauce is ready to be served.
How to serve?
Serve tofu broccoli with some steamed rice-brown, jasmine, or sticky rice all taste good with it.
You can also enjoy it with noodles but it tastes better with rice.
How to store?
To store, allow it to reach room temperature and then transfer it to an airtight container. Refrigerate for 3-4 days.
If left for a longer period, the peanut sauce will thicken. So, to reheat add a few tablespoons of hot water and then either microwave or heat on the stovetop.
Recipe tips and tricks
- If the peanut butter that you are using has sugar added to it, skip adding brown sugar.
- Try using a fresh jar of peanut butter. Old peanut butter will be too dry for this recipe.
- To add some heat, you can use chili flakes or drizzle some chili oil.
- You can also add more vegetables of your choice to this dish.
- Instead of vinegar, fresh lime juice can also be used.
Frequently asked questions
Though this dish tastes the best when made with peanut butter, if you wish you can make it with any other nut butter too like cashew or almond butter.
If you have extra peanut sauce, use it to make peanut butter noodles. It can also be drizzled over roasted vegetables, salads, or an Asian buddha bowl.
You can also serve it as a dipping sauce with your favorite appetizers.
Plain tofu is generally gluten-free. Flavored tofu may contain ingredients that are not suitable for a gluten-free diet.
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Tofu broccoli stir fry in spicy peanut sauce
- Large wok/ pot
Ingredients for baked tofu
- 500 grams firm tofu around 3 cups tofu cubes
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil/ any neutral-flavored cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small head of broccoli around 3 cups boccoli florets
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced (adjust to taste)
- 1 inch ginger piece minced
- 2 stalks scallion finely chopped
- 1 Thai red chili/ or any hot chili finely chopped
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon vegetable/ peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar skip if peanut butter has sugar in it
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds white/ black
- ½ cup boiling hot water
- Wrap the tofu block in a thick paper towel and press to remove execess moisture. Remove the towel and cut the block into equal bite size pieces.
- Put the tofu cubes in a large bowl add oil, salt, and pepper. Gently toss and spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 12-14 minutes at 200°C (400°F).
- In a bowl mix peanut butter, minced ginger and garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili sauce, vinegar, sugar, chopped red chilies and some salt. Mix everything and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add broccoli florets and saute on a medium flame for around 10-12 minutes or until the broccoli gets cooked but still crunchy. Transfer the cooked broccoli to a bowl.
- In the same wok put the peanut butter mixture and around ¼ cup of boiling water. Mix everything and cook until the peanut butter melts and the sauce starts simmering.
- Add broccoli and baked tofu. Mix everything. If the sauce is too thick add some more boiling water. Allow the broccoli and tofu to get cooked with the sauces for around 2 minutes.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and chopped scallion. Enjoy with some steamed sticky rice/ jasmine rice.
- If the peanut butter has sugar added to it, skip brown sugar in the recipe.
- For extra heat, you can also add chili flakes or drizzle some chili oil.
- You can also use more vegetables of your choice in this recipe.
- Instead of vinegar, fresh lime juice can also be used.
- More detailed tips and tricks are given within the post, please follow them to make the recipe.