Cherry cream cheese danish is a crunchy, cheesy, and, delightful dessert from Denmark. This quick and easy to make dish can be enjoyed as a dessert, a snack, and breakfast too.
Cherry season is here and I am sure most of you must be having a lot of cherries in your fridge. I live in Dubai and during this time of the year, we get to enjoy really juicy and sweet cherries from Iran. The challenge is that they remain in the market for only a few weeks. So, during that period we try to enjoy as many cherries as possible.
My favorite way of enjoying cherries is to eat them raw without anything else. But, I also love adding it to some of my dishes like this quinoa fruit salad.
Today I am sharing my favorite cherry dessert- Easy cherry cream cheese danish. It’s a very quick and simple recipe but the final dish is delicious and you will fall in love with it.
What is Danish pastry?
Danish pastry- generally called just Danish is a delicious, multilayered sweet pastry from Denmark. However, it was brought to Denmark by the Austrian bakers and was slightly modified by the Danish bakers to satisfy the local taste preference.
In 1850, there was a strike amongst Danish bakers. It was then that the Austrian bakers were hired to do the job and they brought along a delicious pastry recipe which later became a very popular Danish pastry.
Danish pastries are generally filled with different ingredients like cheese, fruits, nuts, chocolates, custard, etc.
Though Danish dough and pastry puff dough are not exactly the same, they are quite similar. So, I always use pastry puff sheets to make Danish as they are very easily available in the market. If you could find danish dough, you can use that too.
Tips & Tricks
- Not a big fan of cherries? Use any other fruit or berry of your choice.
- If you came across this recipe during a non-cherry season- use canned cherries.
- To further shorten the process you can also use readymade cherry pie filling.
- Sprinkling sugar on top is not mandatory but I will highly recommend doing that. The sugar gets caramelized on baking which gives a very nice color, taste, and texture to these cherry cheese puffs.
- You can also drizzle a simple sugar glaze, chopped nuts, or chocolate sauce on top, once the baked danishes reach room temperature. I prefer sprinkling only some granulated sugar on top.
- Get creative and make different versions of Danish like chocolate danish, custard danish, plain cheese, etc.
How to store cherry puffs?
These cherry puffs can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Use airtight containers to store.
If you want to store them for a longer period spread them on a plate or baking tray and keep in the freezer until they become hard. After that put them in a ziplock bag or freezer-safe containers. They will be fine in the freezer for 3- months.
Before serving reheat them in the microwave.
Ingredients required to make easy Cherry Cheese Danish
These cherry cheese puffs recipe needs only the following eight ingredients which are easily available almost everywhere:
- Pastry puff squares/ sheet
- Cream Cheese
- Granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Corn starch
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
More easy dessert recipes from around the world
If you love desserts then don’t miss to try the following very easy dessert recipes from around the world:
- Mango Phirni-India
- Chocolate banana spring rolls-Indonesia
- Sticky rice with mango-Thailand
- Biko/ Malagkit – Philippines
- Vegan chocolate chip banana bread-USA
- Riz bi haleeb-Lebanon
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make cherry cream cheese danish?
Cherry cream cheese danish
Ingredients for cherry filling
- 1 cup fresh cherries pitted
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 0.25 cup sugar adjust as per taste/ sweetness of cherries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Ingredients for cream cheese filling
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 0.5 cup powdered sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 puff pastry squares
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Put all the ingredients of cherry filling in a pot. Mix and cook for around 8-10 minutes until the mixture thickens. Keep aside and let it reach room temperature.
- In a bowl add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Spread a baking paper on a baking tray and put the puff pastry squares on it.
- Mark around 0.5-inch border around each square. Prick the center with a fork so that it rises lesser than the border.
- Put around 1 tablespoon of cream cheese filling at the center. Top it with a tablespoon of cherry filling. Sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 15-18 minutes or until the puffs pastry turns golden brown.
- Instead of fresh cherries, canned cherries can be used too.
- Ready-made cherry pie filling can also be used in the dish.
- Sprinkling sugar before baking is optional but recommended.