Pumpkin puff pastry with a flaky, crunchy cover and warm, creamy filling of pumpkin and cream cheese. This vegetarian fall recipe needs a handful of ingredients and gets ready within 30 minutes.
Fall is all about creating a feeling of warmth and comfort. The aroma of warm spices, roasted pumpkins, simmering soups, creates that comforting ambiance.
Though after shifting to Dubai the seasons that we got to enjoy are pleasant summer, summer, extreme summer, and a tiny winter, I try to enjoy all the seasons I saw growing up in India by creating a similar environment at my home.
So, even when the average temperature in Dubai is around 40°C these days, I have started cooking my fall recipes which you are seeing on my blog too.
And, today I am sharing another very easy vegetarian fall recipe- Pumpkin puff pastry with cream cheese. This delicious puff pastry has a flaky, crunchy cover and warm, creamy filling of pumpkin and cream cheese. It’s very easy to make and gets ready within 30 minutes.
Ingredients required to make pumpkin puff pastry
This pumpkin puff pastry needs only 8 ingredients which are very easily available everywhere.
- Cream cheese (softened)- Vegans may skip it and make it with just pumpkin filling.
- Pumpkin puree- both homemade and store-bought are fine.
- Powdered sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice- Homemade/ store-bought
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar- Light/ dark both are fine. Normal white sugar can be used too.
- Puff pastry square- You can also take a puff pastry sheet and cut it into squares of the desired size.
Making pumpkin pie spice at home
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice no need to go to the market for buying. Just mix the following spices and your homemade pumpkin spice is ready:
- Cinnamon powder: 4 teaspoons
- Ginger powder: 2 teaspoons
- Cloves powder: 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground allspice mix: 1/2 teaspoon
This will yield around 2.5 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice
Tips for the recipe
- The quantity of sugar used in the recipe may vary depending upon the sweetness of your pumpkin and your taste preference.
- You can also make these puffs without cream cheese if you like.
- Chocolate lovers may also drizzle chocolate sauce on top instead of sugar glaze.
- Don’t drizzle the glaze on hot puffs.
More easy pumpkin recipes
Looking for more easy pumpkin recipe ideas? Do try the following recipes on my blog:
- Roasted pumpkin soup
- Vegan chocolate chip pumpkin muffins
- Pumpkin oatmeal
- Healthy pumpkin oatmeal cookies
More puff pastry recipes
If you bought puff pastry just for making this recipe and don’t know what to do with the remaining, you might find the following recipes useful:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make pumpkin puff pastry?
Pumpkin puff pastry
Ingredients for pumpkin filling
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree homemade/ store-bought
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar adjust as per taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Ingredients for cream cheese filling
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for the glaze
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 puff pastry squares
- Mix all the ingredients of pumpkin filling in a bowl and keep aside.
- In another bowl mix the ingredients of cream cheese filling and keep that aside too.
- Thaw the puff pastry squares and put on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Mark a 0.5-inch border around each square. Prick the center with a fork so that it rises lesser than the border.
- Put around 1.5 tablespoons of cream cheese filling at the center of all the puff pastry squares. Top it with some pumpkin filling
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 16-18 minutes or until the puffs start turning golden brown.
- Once done, take out the puffs and allow to reach room temperature on a cooling rack.
- To make the sugar glaze, mix all the ingredients of glaze until it becomes smooth. Drizzle on top of the puffs and enjoy!