Biko/ Malagkit is a delicious Vegan & Gluten-free recipe from the Philippines. Made with three basic ingredients – sticky rice, coconut milk, and brown sugar this easy Filipino sticky rice dessert tastes divine.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I met people from the Philippines for the first time after moving to Dubai and felt that they are some of the most friendly, humble, and chilled out people in this world.
Even though I have a lot of Filipino friends, unfortunately, I couldn't eat most of their food as there was no vegetarian option. Even in restaurants, I could never find any vegetarian or vegan dish.
But there is one Filipino dish which I discovered a few months back and it impressed me a lot. Now it's one of my favorite desserts. That dish is Biko and is also known as malagkit.
What is Biko/ Malagkit
Biko is a simple but delicious sweet rice cake dessert from the Philipines. Made with the three most basic ingredients – sticky rice, coconut milk, and dark brown sugar, this Filipino sticky rice dessert tastes divine.
I really wonder how these simple ingredients create such delicious magic in Biko.
Sticky rice is one of my favorite ingredients because some of my favorite desserts are made with it like Thai sticky rice with mangoes and Biko.
Biko is one of those warm, mildly sweetened, comforting dishes which you want to soothe a sour day just like the company of a good old friend.
Traditionally Biko is baked on a banana leaf, however, since it’s not easy to find banana leaves in the grocery stores near my home I either use butter paper or directly put it on a non-stick baking dish. If you can find a banana leaf, spread it on the baking dish and place the rice on it before baking.
This Filipino dessert is awesome, warm, and sweet just like the people of the Philippines.
More easy vegan dessert recipes
- Vegan orange cake with candied orange peel
- Vegan Cinnamon rolls
- Sweet Potato dumplings
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
If you try any of my recipes and like them then please don’t miss to rate them in the comments section.
Step by step photo intsructions
Biko- a vegan & gluten free dessert from the Phillippines
- 2 cups uncooked sticky rice
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash the sticky rice and put in a pot with water. Cook till it's almost 90% done. We don't want to cook it completely.
- In another pot mix the coconut milk and brown sugar, and cook for around 12- 15 minutes till it starts thickening. Take out a cup of this mixture and keep aside.
- Add the cooked rice to this coconut milk mixture and cook for another 8-10 minutes or till rice completely absorbs the liquid. Switch off the gas.
- Evenly spread rice on a baking dish. Pour the liquid taken out earlier and spread it evenly on top of rice.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven for around 45-50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Once done, take out the tray and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Once it reaches the room temperature, cut out pieces in desired shape and size. You can serve it warm, cold or at room temperature. Personally, I like it the most when served warm.