Vegan Cinnamon rolls- a delicious treat from Sweden. These soft, sweet and delicious sweet treat is a must try easy vegan baking recipe.
I am doing a lot of vegan baking these days and completely loving it. Though not a vegan I love the taste of vegan cakes, cookies, rolls… so much that I don’t think I will ever add eggs to them again. They taste lighter and fresh.
All the vegan baked recipes which I tried out till now – Chocolate cake, strawberry muffins, chocolate chip cookies, carrot cake were so good that I am really excited to further explore the vegan baking.
Last week I tried another amazing recipe- Vegan cinnamon rolls and they too were delicious so I am sharing that recipe with you all.
After chocolate chip cookies this is another tasty inspired recipe and now I have become a big fan of their recipes.
Cinnamon roll also knows as Cinnamon bun, Cinnamon snail or Cinnamon swirl is believed to be originated in Sweden. However, it’s also eaten in many other European countries and North America with each country having a slight variation in its recipe.
In my recipe, I have poured frosting on top of the rolls which is not a traditional way of serving Cinnamon rolls but is done in America. In Sweden, pearl sugar is sprinkled on top of these rolls.
Also, traditionally cardamom powder is also added to the filling of these rolls which I have skipped. So you can say that this recipe is an American version of Cinnamon roll, not the traditional Swedish one.
Sweden celebrates 4th October as Cinnamon roll day known as Kanelbullens dag in Swedish, this shows how popular they are in Sweden.
You will understand the reason for this popularity once you taste it. It’s a soft, sweet and delicious treat.
In Sweden, there is a tradition to have ‘Fika’ at least once a day. Fika means a coffee and cake break but it has a deeper purpose in Swedish culture. It’s their way of slowing down in life to enjoy the basic pleasures.
Cinnamon roll has an important role to play in Fika as it’s the most common treat served along with coffee during Fika.
So just bake these yummy treats and take out time for Fika…the Swedish way.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
Vegan Cinnamon roll
Ingredients for the dough
- 2 cups almond milk use normal dairy milk if you are not a vegan
- 1/2 cup vegan butter use normal butter if you are not a vegan
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 5 + 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the filling
- 3/4 cup vegan butter use normal butter if you are not a vegan
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon powder
Ingredients for the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2` teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl add warm almond milk, melted butter, sugar, and whisk nicely.
- Add some dry active yeast to the above mixture, mix well and let it rest for around 5 minutes.
- Once the yeast gets activated, add 5 cups of flour and salt to the mixture and make a dough by mixing everything with a spatula. Cover with a plastic sheet and let the dough rest for around 1 hour at a warm corner
- After one hour the dough will almost double in size. Punch it back, add remaining 1/2 cup of flour, knead and make a rectangular dough sheet with the help of a rolling pin. The sheet should be around 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread a layer of softened vegan butter on the sheet, followed by brown sugar and then cinnamon powder.
- Lift the edge of the sheet from one side and start rolling it.
- Smoothen the roll with your hands and then cut equal sized swirls from that roll.
- Nicely grease a cake pan with vegan butter and arrange the swirls inside it. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for around 25 minutes or till the swirls turn golden brown.
- Once done, take out the cake pan and let the rolls reach room temperature.
- To prepare the icing, add all the ingredients under icing in a bowl and mix until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Pour the icing on top of cinnamon rolls. Serve warm with tea/ coffee.