This vegan orange cake is moist, refreshing, and delicious. The tiny candied orange peels that you get to enjoy in every bite makes it yummier.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vegan Orange Cake with candied orange peels – a delicious, moist and fragrant cake with orange peel bites.
Orange is one of my favorite fruits, and I love almost every dish made with oranges.
It reminds me of our school breaks when we used to visit our grandparents. We are from that generation of India when the holidays were spent with grandparents and cousins and there was no concept of exotic international holidays and I am thankful for that.
There were a lot of orange trees at my grandparents' house so we used to enjoy oranges all the time. The beautiful memories associated with this fruit makes it special for me.
Even while writing this post I started craving for orange and thankfully there were a few navel oranges in my kitchen so I stopped typing, peeled an orange, and now enjoying it while blogging.
This vegan orange cake recipe is very simple and easy to make. It doesn’t require any milk substitute also.
I love candied orange peels in this recipe as they remind me of another favorite thing from my childhood- marmalade.
Though I would highly recommend adding candied orange peel to this cake if you are in a hurry and don’t want to add it, you can skip that part. A plain vegan orange cake also tastes great.
Easy vegan baking recipes
Though I am a vegetarian but from the time I have started baking without eggs and dairy I prefer vegan baking. I feel that not using eggs in baking makes the baked dishes taste fresher and more delicious.
And, if you have missed my other easy vegan baking recipes, you can check them below:
- Vegan chocolate cake
- Vegan strawberry muffins
- Vegan cinnamon rolls
- Vegan chocolate chip cookies
- Vegan banana muffins
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan orange cake with candied orange peels
Ingredients for candied orange peel
- Peel of 1 large orange
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar you can change the quantity depending upon how much sweetness you want.
- 8 cups water
Ingredients for the cake
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup neutral flavored cooking oil I have used canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- A pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- To make the candied peel, remove the peel of 1 orange, cut it into strips and add to 3 cups of water. Boil the orange peel for 6-7 minutes. Discard the water and rinse the peel. Repeat the process one more time.
- In a pan add 2 cups water and 1/4 cup sugar mix and let it boil till the sugar gets dissolved completely. Add the boiled peels to this mixture and cook for 25-30 minutes on medium flame till there is almost no more water left in the pan and peels get nicely coated in thick sugar syrup.
- Put a cooling rack over a plate and spread the candied peels on the rack so that all the excess sugar syrup gets dripped off the peels. Allow the peels to reach room temperature.
- Cut the candied peels into small pieces and keep aside.
- In a bowl sieve all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, orange zest, and salt.
- In another bowl mix the sugar, oil and orange juice.
- Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Next add in the chopped, candied orange peel and gently fold it into the cake batter.
- Grease a pan and add this mixture to it. Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 35 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or till it passes the toothpick test.
- Once done, take it out of the oven. Allow it to rest on a cooling rack for a few minutes and then cut into desired pieces. Enjoy with a cup of hot tea/ coffee.