Corn fried rice- a quick and easy Asian-style fried rice loaded with sweet corn kernels and baby corn. Made with a handful of ingredients, this dish gets ready in just 20 minutes.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
Fried rice- a dish that I most frequently make on busy days. It can be made in a lot of different ways, always tastes great, and gets ready within minutes.
Today I am sharing a fried rice recipe for corn lovers i.e. corn fried rice. In this dish corn is used in two forms- baby corn and sweet corn kernels.
If you are looking for ideas to use leftover rice, this rice and corn recipe is perfect for you.
What goes in this corn fried rice?
To make corn fried rice, you will be needing the ingredients shown below:
- Cooked rice: Use a medium or long grain rice to make fried rice, preferably an Asian variety. Don't use short grain or very sticky variety of rice.
- Sweet corn kernels: Fresh, frozen, canned all are fine. Their cooking time may vary. In this recipe, I have used frozen ones.
How to make (step by step instrutions)?
Step 1: Heat oil in a cooking pot.
Step 2: Add chopped onion.
Step 3: Cook until the onion turns translucent.
Step 4: Add garlic and chopped white part of scallion.
Step 5: Add sliced baby corn.
Step 6: Stir on high flame until the baby corn slices get cooked and their edges start turning brown.
Step 7: Add sweet corn kernels.
Step 8: Mix everything and stir fry for another 3-4 minutes or until the corn kernels are cooked.
Step 9: Add chopped scallion greens, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper. Saute for a minute.
Step 10: Add cooked rice.
Step 11: Mix and stir fry on high flame for around 2 minutes.
Step 12: Garnish with chopped scallion.
Your simple and tasty corn fried rice is ready to be enjoyed!
What to serve with fried rice?
If you are looking for side dish ideas to serve with corn fried rice or any other fried rice, the following are some of the suggestions:
To store baby corn rice, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
Just like most of the other fried rice dishes, sweet corn fried rice also freezes well. To freeze, transfer to freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating fried rice
Fried rice can be reheated in a microwave as well as on the stovetop.
- Microwave: If using microwave, transfer the fried rice to a microwave safe container. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Microwave for around 30 seconds, take out the container and stir. Microwave again until the rice is nicely heated.
- Stovetop: To reheat fried rice on stovetop, heat oil in a cooking pot. Add fried rice and stir. Add a few tablespoons of water and cover the pot. Cook for a few minutes. Stir and repeat the process until the rice gets reheated.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Leftover rice is the best for making any type of fried rice. If you don't have leftover rice, cook the rice a few hours in advance and refrigerate. Freshly cooked rice turns mushy if used in fried rice.
- Don't overcook corn, they should be slightly crunchy.
- Always stir fry fried rice on high heat.
- As fried rice is cooked on high heat, keep all the ingredients ready and near the stove.
- To add heat to this dish, add some chili oil or hot sauce. You may also add chili flakes with other seasonings.
- This corn and rice dish can also be made by using only sweet corn or only baby corn with rice.
- Feel free to add vegetables of your choice.
- For extra flavor, drizzle some toasted sesame oil on top and toss.
- I have not used soy sauce in this recipe but if want you can add around a tablespoon of sauce sauce after cooking the corns. However, that will change the color of the dish.
Frequently asked questions
A medium or long-grain, less sticky variety of Asian rice is the best for making this fried rice.
To prepare rice for fried rice, cook it at least a few hours in advance and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before using it in the dish.
More easy rice recipes from around the world
Looking for more quick and easy rice recipes from around the world? Don't miss checking the following links:
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Corn fried rice
- Cooking pan/ wok
- 3 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels fresh/ frozen/ canned all are fine
- 9-10 baby corns-sliced around 100 grams
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 4-5 stalks scallion/ spring onion-finely chopped keep white and green part separated
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder adjust to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onion and saute on high flame until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add garlic and chopped white part of scallion. Saute for a minute.
- Add sliced baby corns and cook on high flame for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Once the baby corn slices are cooked and start turning golden brown from the edges, add sweet corn kernels.
- Saute on high flame for another 3-4 minutes or until the corn kernels are cooked.
- Add scallion greens, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Saute for about a minute.
- Finally, add cooked rice and mix everything. Stir fry on high flame for around 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped scallion/ spring onion greens. Enjoy!
- Use pre-cooked rice in every fried rice recipe and refrigerate it for a few hours before making fried rice. Freshly cooked rice breaks and turns mushy in fried rice.
- Adding baby corn is optional. Corn fried rice can be made with just sweet corn kernels too.
- Make fried rice on high flame and keep stirring continuously to avoid burning of ingredients.
- Since fried rice is made on high flame, keep all the ingredients ready and near the stove.
- Soy sauce can also be added to the recipe, I have skipped soy sauce to avoid changing the color of rice.
- You can also add vinegar/ lime juice to make the corn rice slightly sour.
- More recipe tips and tricks are given in the post above, please refer them to make this recipe.
Leave a Reply