Cabbage rice is an Indian-style vegan rice recipe that's very easy to make and gets ready in less than 30 minutes. If you are looking for ideas to use leftover rice, this cabbage-fried rice is perfect for you.
I love the combination of cabbage and rice. It's one of my favorite vegetables to use in fried rice. Another vegetable that tastes amazing with rice is green pea. Since this Indian-style cabbage rice has both these vegetables I love it and make it quite often.
It's a very simple rice dish and goes well with every curry, dal, or just raita.
So, if you have leftover rice and cabbage in your fridge, make this Indian-style cabbage fried rice and enjoy a simple home-cooked meal.
What goes in Indian-style cabbage rice?
To make Indian cabbage rice the following ingredients are needed:
- Boiled rice: Peferably long grain basmati rice. Make sure to cook rice a few hours in advance if planning to use it in fried rice.
- Cabbage: Though green cabbage tastes the best in this fried rice, purple cabbage can be used too.
- Green peas: Fresh/ frozen. Fresh peas will take more time to get cooked. You can skip green peas if you want to make this dish with cabbage only.
- Green chili peppers: Skip or de-seed to make it less spicy.
- Spring onion greens
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Lime juice
- Cumin seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil/ any other cooking oil
How to make?
- Heat oil in a pan. When it starts spluttering add cumin seeds and saute for a few seconds.
- Add ginger, garlic, onion, and green chilies. Cook until the onion turns translucent.
- Add green peas and saute until cooked.
- Next, add cabbage and saute for 3-4 minutes. It should be cooked but still crunchy.
- Add spring onion greens, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Cook for about a minute.
- Add cooked rice and mix everything. Stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Finally, add lime juice and mix.
Step by step photo instructions
What to serve with cabbage rice?
Cabbage rice pairs well with almost every Indian curry and dal like matar mushroom, mushroom masala, Indian vegetable curry, potato curry, dal palak, or chana dal.
If you like simple meals just some chutney or raita will also taste great with this fried rice.
During summers I love having cabbage rice with coriander tomato chutney, cucumber raita/ onion raita.
This Indian rice also tastes good with other Asian side dishes like baked gobi manchurian, stir-fried mushrooms with sprouts, or sweet and sour tofu.
How to store?
To store this dish, put it in an air-tight container and keep in the fridge. It will be fine for 2-3 days.
Cabbage rice freezes well. To freeze, put it in a freezer-safe airtight container. It will be fine for up to 3 months.
When you want to eat it just microwave or reheat in a pan.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Always use leftover rice to make fried rice. The rice should be cooked atleast 3-4 hours in advance. It's best to put it in the fridge for a few hours. Freshly cooked rice easily turns mushy on getting stir fried.
- Finely shred cabbage, it will get cooked faster.
- Don't overcook cabbage. It should remain crunchy.
- Add salt only once the cabbage is cooked. If added before, cabbage will release water and turn soft.
- While mixing everything, gently stir the rice otherwise grains will break.
- More vegetables like bell pepper, carrot, French beans, even corn can be added to it.
- Stir fry on high flame and keep all the ingredients ready and near the flame so the dish doesn't get burned.
Frequently asked questions
To store the extra shredded cabbage in the fridge, put in an airtight container and then refrigerate. It will be fine for up to 5 days.
Yes, raw shredded cabbage can be frozen for up to 12 months. To do that first spread the shredded cabbage in a single layer on a baking tray and freeze for 2-3 hours.
Transfer the frozen shredded cabbage in batch-size zip lock bags, remove all the extra air, and put it back in the freezer to store.
Yes, it can be made with red cabbage too but tastes better if green cabbage is used.
More vegan cabbage recipes
Looking for more vegan cabbage recipes from around the world? Don't miss checking the following links:
More quick and easy rice recipes
If you are looking for some more quick and easy rice recipes then the following recipes are worth checking:
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
- Cooking pot/ wok
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 medium-sized red onion finely chopped
- 2-3 stalks spring onion greens finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chili pepper finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper adjust to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When the seeds start spluttering, add ginger, garlic, green chili, and onion. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add green peas and cook for 4-5 minutes. Keep on stirring in between.
- Next, add cabbage and saute on medium flame until it's cooked but still crunchy
- Add spring onion,cilantro, salt, and pepper. Cook for a minute.
- Add cooked rice and stir until everything gets combined. Switch off the stove.
- Finally, add lime juice and mix. Enjoy!
- Use leftover rice to make this or any fried rice dish.
- Long or medium-sized rice grains are the best for cabbage rice.
- Thinly shred cabbage, it will get cooked faster.
- Don't overcook the cabbage, it should be cooked but remain crunchy.
Leave a Reply