This sweet rava paniyaram recipe with dates and coconut is from South India. These breakfast balls are sweet and fluffy from the inside and crispy from the outside. A perfect breakfast for busy mornings, it can be enjoyed as a snack and packed in the tiffin box too.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last month I posted a quick vegan breakfast recipe from India- Vegetable Paniyaram. Most of you loved it a lot and it became one of my most popular recipes on this blog. If you have missed that out, you can check it here.
In that post, I shared that I have a lot of Paniyaram recipes and promised to share all those with you. So, to keep that promise I am sharing another recipe today –Sweet Paniyram with dates & coconut.
Just like vegetable Paniyaram, this recipe is also very easy, quick, and tasty. A perfect breakfast for busy mornings.
Also, it’s not only an instant breakfast recipe but you can also serve it as an instant sweet snack. I love to have it with my evening tea. They can also be packed for office snacking.
What is Paniyaram
Paniyaram, also known as appe, guliyappa, and various other names is a recipe from South India which is made by cooking a batter in a special pan called paniyaram maker.
Generally, the batter of paniyaram is similar to an Idli/ dosa batter which is seasoned with different sweet and savory ingredients.
In rava paniyaram, instead of rice and lentil batter, semolina is used.
How to enjoy this dish without paniyaram maker
You can easily find a paniyaram maker in any Indian store that keeps utensils. It's also available online. I was gifted this pan by my parents when I was shifting to Dubai. They knew the value of such tools on busy mornings.
However, if you don't want to buy Paniyaram maker, use an aebleskiver pan if you have that, or just make small pancakes using this batter.
Ingredients required and substitute suggestions
The ingredients required to make dates and coconut paniyaram are very basic.
- Yogurt- dairy/ plant-based
- Milk- dairy/ plant-based
- Grated coconut- fresh/ dried
- Dates-Any variety
- Nuts- any nut is fine
- Green cardamom powder
- Sugar- optional, can be replaced with healthier sweeteners too like jaggery, honey, etc
- Baking soda
- Cooking oil- ½ teaspoon is sufficient if your paniyaram maker is nonstick.
The best thing about Paniyaram is that it can be made in a lot of different ways by making a few variations in the ingredients. You can check some of the Paniyaram variations below:
- Banana, jaggery, fennel seeds
- Chocolate and nuts
- Apple cinnamon
- Pureed fruits
- Nuts and berries
You can also make them with all-purpose, whole wheat flour, or oat flour instead of semolina.
More easy breakfast recipes
We all struggle to decide what to make every morning - something that's healthy, quick, and easy. The following easy breakfast recipes may be useful to you on busy mornings:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Sweet paniyaram recipe with dates and coconut
- 1 cup semolina
- ½ cup yogurt vegan/ dairy
- ¾ cup milk vegan/ dairy
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- 1 tbsp sugar adjust as per taste
- ½ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon Oil to grease the molds
- Put all the ingredients except oil in a large bowl and mix.
- Grease the paniyaram mold with little oil and fill every cavity of the paniyaram pan with some batter.
- Cover the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium flame or until the top side dries completely and the bottom side turns golden brown. Flip the balls, cover the pan again and re-cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the other side also turns golden brown.
- Take out in a bowl. Drizzle some honey or maple syrup and enjoy!
- Adding sugar is optional. Based on taste preference, it can either be skipped or replaced with another sweetener like honey or jaggery.
- Instead of semolina, whole wheat flour can also be used.