Bread upma, also known as bread poha is an easy vegan breakfast from India. This quick and healthy breakfast recipe is made with bread, mung bean sprouts, sweet corn kernels, and a few other basic ingredients.
I am one of those people who don’t enjoy sweet breakfast. I always need something savory in my breakfast. Even if I eat a sweet breakfast like oats or bread & jam, I always finish it off with at least a bite of something savory even if I have to sprinkle some salt and pepper on a slice of apple otherwise I feel nauseated.
Not sure if it’s weird or there are other people too who can’t have a sweet breakfast without feeling sick.
So, on most of the days, you will find a savory breakfast in my kitchen.
Today I am sharing one such easy, quick savory breakfast recipe which is one of the favorite things to have in the morning. The recipe is bread upma.
If you are looking for leftover bread recipes then one is perfect for you. However, you can also make it with fresh bread.
What is bread upma?
Bread upma, also known as bread poha is a breakfast recipe that is made by cooking bread pieces with onion, tomatoes and other vegetables.
My favorite ingredients to add in bread poha are mung bean sprouts and sweet corn kernels. Using these vegetables make the recipe quicker as it reduces the chopping time.
However, if you want you can also add carrots, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, green peas, etc.
If using sprouts, both homegrown or store brought is fine. I always make the sprouts at home.
Adding sprouts not only makes the dish more nutritious but also makes it tastier by adding a crunch. Just, avoid overcooking the sprouts.
Looking for more ideas to include bean sprouts to your diet? Don’t miss to check the following recipes:
How and when to serve bread upma?
Though generally eaten as a breakfast, you can also enjoy it as a snack or a side dish. It can also be served as a filling toasted bread salad.
I love having it with a cup of tea, you can enjoy it with any hot or cold beverage of your choice.
It can also be enjoyed with just some ketchup or any other sauce/ dip. If not vegan, you can serve it with some yogurt too.
More vegan breakfast ideas:
- Easy Homemade Granola
- Vegan Kale and Potato Sandwich
- Beetroot Hummus and Avocado Sandwich
- Sabudana Khichdi
- Dates & Coconut Paniyaram
- Vegetable Paniyaram- A vegan breakfast from India
- Vegan Carrot cake oatmeal recipe
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Bread Upma?
Bread Upma/ Bread Poha
- 10 bread slices you can use any type of bread you like
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Make small equal pieces of bread. Thinly slice the onion and finely chop green chilies and tomatoes.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds stop crackling, add onions and fry till they start turning brown.
- Add tomatoes and green chilies, all the spices, salt and cook for 4-5 minutes or till tomatoes turn mushy
- Next, add sprouts, corn, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Once the corn is cooked, add the bread pieces, mix and cook for around 3-4 minutes or till the bread pieces get toasted. Keep on stirring in between
- Switch off the gas, squeeze in some lemon juice, garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy your easy and tasty vegan breakfast.