This vegan pumpkin soup is made with roasted pumpkin- pureed and flavored with warm spices. A simple, comforting soup that’s perfect to make your evenings cozy.
I tasted a vegan pumpkin soup for the first time on a cruise in Halong Bay, Vietnam. I am not sure if it was the magic of that magnificent place, the chef’s skills, or a combination of both but we fell in love with soup.
And, since that day I always make my pumpkin soup vegan, and instead of cream or milk, I use coconut milk in my pumpkin soup.
Today I am sharing that easy, simple, and comforting soup recipe- Vegan pumpkin soup.
If you like mildly flavored dishes, you will love this soup. The warm spices -cinnamon and nutmeg that are used to gently flavor it, make it so appropriate for fall and winter.
When I make any pumpkin recipe, peeling them is something that I hate the most. Thankfully, in this recipe, since the pumpkins are roasted first and then the flesh is scooped out, peeling the pumpkin skin is not required. A great relief!
Type of pumpkin to use
This roasted pumpkin soup can be used using any type of pumpkin. You can also use butternut squash to make it.
How to store?
In the fridge, this soup will be fine for 3-4 days.
For a longer period store in the freezer for 3-4 months. If you feel the flavors have become milder, add some spices while reheating. Freeze in batches so that you re-heat only the amount you can consume at a time.
Ingredients required to make vegan pumpkin soup
Tips & Tricks
- This soup can also be made by simply cooking peeled pumpkin cubes in a pot. Just peel the pumpkin, cut cubes, add water until it covers the pumpkin. Boil until the pumpkin gets nicely cooked. Puree and then follow the recipe below.
- Don’t make very large pieces of the pumpkin otherwise the baking time will get increased.
- While baking, keep the flesh side down.
- If you prefer spicy food, add some chili flakes or chopped chili peppers.
- Other spices like cumin, ground cloves, etc can also be added to this soup.
- Instead of using vegetable bouillon cube and water, vegetable stock can also be used
- Non-vegans may use cooking cream or milk instead of coconut milk
More vegan soup recipes to try
The evenings will start getting colder soon and if you love enjoying a bowl of delicious soup during such weather then don’t miss to check the following vegan soup recipes:
- Mexican black bean soup
- Easy ginger carrot soup
- Roasted tomato and red pepper soup
- Moroccan spiced chickpea and sweet potato soup
- Manchow soup
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Vegan pumpkin soup?
Vegan pumpkin soup
- 1.25 kgs pumpkin any variety
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves chopped
- 0.25 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.25 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon ginger powder
- ground black pepper as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 0.5 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups water
Ingredients for garnishing (optional)
- Chili flakes
- Chopped parsley or any other fresh herb of your choice
- Cut the pumpkin into medium-sized pieces. Spread them on a baking sheet. Brush the pumpkin pieces with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for 40-45 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender and cooked. Take out from the oven and allow to reach room temperature.
- Scoop out the pumpkin flesh using a spoon or knife. Discard the skin and keep the pumpkin skin aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add vegetable bouillon cube, all the spices, salt, and mix.
- Add water and pumpkin. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth. If required, add more water at this stage. Check and adjust the seasoning. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with pepitas, chili flakes, and fresh herbs. Enjoy!