Vegan Sisig is a delicious veganised version of a very popular Filipino snack Sisig. The texture of dry wood ear mushroom and taste of smoked tofu makes it quite similar to the original Sisig.
A few days ago, I posted the recipe of a Filipino dessert Biko. It was the first Filipino recipe which I tried in my kitchen and we loved it. It encouraged me to explore more recipes from the Philippines. This time, I got more ambitious and created the vegan version of a very popular non-vegetarian dish- Sisig which is made with animal parts.
Sisig is a dish which is generally served with alcoholic drinks something like Dutch bitterballen. Both Amit, and I don’t drink alcohol so we enjoyed our Vegan Sisig with Orange iced tea while watching a horror movie on a weekend.
A lot of people from the Philippines may frown on hearing Vegan Sisig that too served with iced tea but we really enjoyed that treat and I am sure, most of you will do too.
We bought a lot of dry wood ear mushrooms from the local vegetable market in Vietnam when we visited the country last month.
I was looking for ideas to use those mushrooms when I came across the recipe of Sisig. The chewy meaty texture of wood ear mushrooms is perfect to replace the animal parts in Vegan Sisig.
Sisig generally has a nice smoky flavor which comes from the meat grilled on coal. To get that flavor I charred the baked tofu cubes over a direct flame before finely chopping them. It came out really well and I would highly recommend this dish to everyone- even hardcore non-vegetarians.
More vegan appetizer recipes
Looking for more vegan appetizer recipes? Don’t miss to check the following links:
If you try any of my recipes and like it then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section.
Step by step photo instructions
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Vegan Sisig?
- 1.5 cups dried wood ear mushroom
- 2 cups firm tofu cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 chili pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp kalamansi/ lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp chili flakes or as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter/ vegetable oil
- Salt as per taste
- Wash the wood ear mushroom and soak in hot water for atleast 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, discard the water and finely chop the mushrooms.
- Apply some oil and salt to the tofu cubes and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 40 minutes or till they turn light brown.
- With the help of a knife or a pair of tongs, charr the tofu cubes over direct flames. To get the best smoky flavor make sure they turn black at few corners. Finely chop the charred tofu cubes.
- Heat some vegan butter/ oil in a pan and add grated ginger to it. Saute for a few minutes and then add chopped mushrooms. Stir fry the mushrooms for around 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tofu and chili pepper. Stir fry for about a minute.
- In a bowl mix soya sauce, kalamansi/ lemon juice, salt, chili flakes, pepper, garlic powder. Add this mixture to the pan, mix and cook for about 1-2 minutes before switching off the gas.
- Garnish with chopped onions and serve with your favorite drink.