Vegan blueberry banana smoothie is a delicious and refreshing breakfast perfect for summers. Full of antioxidants, this thick and creamy smoothie can also be enjoyed as a nutritious snack.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
A refreshing jar of smoothie is my favorite breakfast, especially during summers. It gets ready in just 5 minutes, is very filling, tastes delicious, is nutritious, and everyone loves it. What more can you ask for in a good breakfast?
Another good thing about smoothies is that you can make them in so many different ways by changing fruits and other ingredients that you never get bored of smoothies. Like my strawberry banana smoothie and Peach and mango smoothie.
Today I am sharing the recipe for vegan Blueberry banana smoothie. It's so refreshing and delicious that I am sure that it will become your favorite summer breakfast.
What goes in blueberry banana smoothie?
I have made this vegan blueberry banana smoothie without yogurt and used only the following 6 ingredients:
- Frozen blueberries
- Frozen banana: Ripe or overripe. Overripe bananas are the best for smoothies and they make it taste sweeter.
- Almond milk/ any other milk of your choice.
- Dates: Preferably Medjool date. If using any other date variety, it's best to soak them in hot water for at least 10 minutes. You can use any sweetener which you prefer. Adding sweetener is optional, if the bananas are sweet enough, skip the sweetener.
- Nut butter: Preferably almond butter.
- Chia seeds: You can also add other seeds like flax seeds to make your smoothie more nutritious.
How to freeze fruits for smoothie?
I love fruits and always freeze some when they are in season. This way I can enjoy them throughout the year especially, in smoothies.
I live in Dubai where though blueberries are easily available in almost every grocery store, they are very expensive as they are exported from other countries. However, every year there is a small duration of around 1-2 weeks when they are sold at almost 1/10th of their regular price. That's the time when I buy them in bulk, freeze, and then enjoy my blueberry breakfast smoothie throughout the year.
You can freeze almost every fruit. If you also want to freeze seasonal fruits and not sure how to do that, the following tips might be useful:
- Wash and dry the fruit. If the fruit is big in size like mango, watermelon, apple cut them into small pieces. Small fruits and berries like blueberries, grapes, etc. can be frozen whole.
- The fruits with inedible peel like banana and watermelon should be peeled before freezing.
- I prefer to freeze whole peeled banana instead of chopping it before freezing. This helps me in using the exact number of frozen bananas given in the recipe I am making. Also, chopping frozen bananas with a basic kitchen knife is not tough.
- First, freeze the fruits on a tray. Spread them in a single layer on a tray lined with parchment paper and freeze for a few hours. Once they are fully frozen shift them to zip lock bags or freezer-safe containers and then freeze. Pre-freezing the fruits prevents sticking of fruit pieces to each other.
How long frozen fruits last?
Frozen fruits remain fine in the freezer for around a year if stored properly. However, it's best to use them within 8 months.
Once you thaw a frozen fruit, don't re-freeze it.
Recipe tips & tricks
- I prefer blueberries to dominate the taste of this smoothie so have used it more. You can change the ratio of blueberries and bananas depending upon your taste preference.
- If your berries and bananas are not frozen, add a few ice cubes to the blender.
- You can also make similar smoothies using other fruits and berries.
- Adding dates or any other sweetener is optional, if you want you can skip it.
- Adjust the quantity of milk depending upon how thick and creamy you want your blueberry banana smoothie to be.
More vegan breakfast recipes
Smoothies are a great option for breakfast. If you want to check more easy vegan breakfast recipes, don't miss to check the following recipes:
- Pumpkin oatmeal
- Vegetable paniyaram
- Besan chilla
- Savoury muffins
- Avocado toast with sweet corn and pineapple
If you try any of my recipes, please rate it in the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Vegan blueberry banana smoothie
- Remove the seeds of dates and put all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour in serving glasses and garnish with some blueberries, chia seeds, or chopped nuts. Enjoy!
- If you prefer creamier smoothies, add more frozen bananas.
- Use overripe bananas in smoothies, they will taste sweeter.
- Adding chia seeds and nut butter is optional but recommended.
- Feel free to use any sweetener of your choice.
- Adding sweetener is optional if the sweetness of bananas is enough for skip sweetener.
- More detailed recipe tips and tricks are given within the post above. Please refer them while making the recipe