Vegan mushroom soup is a delicious, creamy, dairy-free and flour-free easy vegan soup recipe. A perfect fall recipe to warm up your soul.
I will be traveling to India soon and need to finish off many things before that. I am excited to meet my parents and sister but have already started missing Amit. He will be joining me there later and we will come back together. Before leaving, I want to clear off most of the fresh ingredients from my kitchen as Amit will be eating out on weekdays.
There was a huge box of fresh button mushrooms in the fridge which I bought to make something else but now since I am really busy with packing and closing other things, I thought of making some simple vegan mushroom soup.
I really love mushroom soup but not the one with too much cream in it. This is a perfect recipe if, like me, you also like a creamy texture but not the creamy taste in your mushroom soup.
It’s very easy to make and a great recipe for those hectic days when you don’t want to spend hours in your kitchen.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Vegan Mushroom Soup?
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Chopped button mushrooms: 2 cups (You can use any mushroom of your choice)
- Onion: 1 small
- Garlic cloves: 2
- Unsweetened almond/cashew milk (If you not vegan, you can use normal dairy milk also): 2 cups
- Water: 2 cups
- Dry thyme: 1 teaspoon (You can also use a sprig of fresh thyme)
- Corn starch: 1.5 teaspoon
- Freshly ground pepper: 1 teaspoon / as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Normal/ Vegan butter : 1 tablespoon
- Finely chop onions and grate garlic cloves
- Melt butter in a pot and add crushed garlic to it. Saute for around 30 seconds and then add onions
- Once the onions turn translucent add in the mushrooms
- Saute mushrooms till they release all the moisture and start turning brown from sides
- Take out around 1.5 tablespoons of mushrooms in a bowl and keep aside
- Add thyme, pepper and salt to the pot and mix well
- Now add in milk and water to the pot and cook it for 7-8 minutes
- Blend the soup using a hand blender/ food processor till it becomes smooth.
- In a bowl, mix corn starch and 1 tablespoon water, add it to the soup.
- Add back the mushroom pieces taken out earlier, to the pot
- Boil for another 6-7 minutes and switch off the gas
- Take out the soup in a bowl. Garnish with few drops of olive oil, chili flakes, freshly ground pepper, coriander leaves and dry thyme (optional)
- Serve hot. Enjoy with toasted bread and butter