Vegan mushroom soup – delicious, creamy, and comforting. This dairy-free mushroom soup is very easy to make, needs only a handful of basic ingredients, and gets ready within 35 minutes.
Though I have started cooking mushrooms more frequently after turning a vegetarian, I always loved them. And, if you are a mushroom lover too then definitely try this creamy vegan mushroom soup recipe.
It’s thick and creamy with chunks of mushroom giving it an interesting texture. The soup is gently flavored with just some thyme, garlic, and pepper which gives a very rich and prominent taste of mushrooms to the soup.
Making it is also very simple, you just need a handful of basic ingredients and one pot to make it.
Ingredients required to make vegan mushroom soup
To make this vegan mushroom soup, you need the following ingredients:
- Mushrooms: I have used white button mushrooms but you can also use brown or cremini mushrooms to make this soup.
- Oat milk: I have used oat milk, you can also use coconut milk or any other plant-based milk of your choice.
- Vegetable stock: Water can be used too but stock makes the soup more flavourful.
- Garlic: Garlic powder can be used too.
- Onion: I have used red onion. Use whichever variety is available to you.
- Corn starch: To make the soup thick and creamy
- Cooking oil: Vegan butter can be added too for extra richness
- Salt & pepper
- Dried thyme: Use any herb of your choice to flavor it. A blend of herbs can be used too.
How to make it
- Making this vegan mushroom is very easy. You just need to follow the following simple steps:
- Finely chop the onion, mince garlic cloves, and slice the mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion, garlic, and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Add mushrooms and add until they start releasing moisture.
- Add thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute for a minute.
- Next, add vegetable stock, mix, and cover the pan. Cook for around 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add milk. Stir continuously for around 2 minutes and then cook the soup uncovered for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix corn and water in a bowl and add to the pot. Stir continuously for a minute to avoid lumps. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Switch off the gas.
- Garnish with ground pepper and fresh herbs.
Tips & Tricks
- To make the soup tastier and more interesting, use a combination of different mushrooms you like.
- If you don’t like chunks of mushrooms in your mushroom soup and prefer a creamier soup, blend the soup after adding vegetable stock.
- For extra creaminess, add coconut cream to the soup.
What to serve with it
Serve this vegan cream of mushroom soup hot with toasted bread, or garlic bread. You can also serve a crunchy salad on the side.
I also like having a side dish like oven-baked potato wedges with this soup.
How to store
You can store this soup in the fridge for around 3 days.
For a longer period, put it in a freezer-safe container, it will be fine for around 3 months. It’s best to store the soup in serving size containers so that only the amount of soup you are planning to consume at one time is taken out of the freezer.
Step by step photos instructions
More mushroom recipes
If you are a mushroom lover too and this recipe is not enough, don’t miss to check the following easy mushroom recipes on my blog:
- Easy mushroom noodles
- Mushroom rice
- Mushroom tom yum soup
- Stir-fried Thai mushrooms
- Matar mushroom
- Kerala style pepper mushrooms
More easy vegan soup recipes
Looking for more easy and comforting vegan soup recipes? The following recipes are perfect for you:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
Vegan mushroom soup recipe
Vegan Mushroom Soup
- Heat oil in a pot. Add onion, garlic, and saute until onion turns translucent.
- Add mushroom slices and cook until they start releasing moisture. Add thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute for about a minute.
- Add vegetable stock, mix, and cover the pan. Cook covered for around 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add milk. Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes. After that cook it uncovered for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix corn starch and water. Add this corn starch slurry to the soup. Stir continuously for about a minute to avoid lumps. Cook for around 2 minutes or until the soup thickens. Switch off the gas.
- Garnish with ground pepper and chopped fresh herbs of your choice. Enjoy!