Vegan chocolate chip banana bread is an easy and delightful recipe for chocolate lovers. It is soft, moist, and has a fudgy consistency which makes it taste like a brownie. You can enjoy it as a snack, a dessert, and even serve as a chocolatey breakfast.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the most popular recipes on my blog is of easy vegan chocolate cake. Whoever tried it loved it. Today I am sharing another very easy fail-proof vegan chocolate recipe- Double chocolate banana bread.
It’s so delicious and irresistible that whenever I make it I have to hide it somewhere so that my husband doesn’t finish it off in one go. He loves chocolates and desserts more than me.
This easy chocolate chip banana bread is soft, moist, and fudgy making it taste like a brownie.
During my grocery shopping, I always buy some extra bananas- more than we can finish easily. This helps me in always having some over-ripe bananas which I use in making this chocolate banana bread or easy banana muffins.
Both these vegan banana dishes can be enjoyed as a snack, breakfast, and also a dessert.
Tips & Tricks
- Use over-ripe bananas in this recipe- the ones which have turned brown from outside.
- While mashing the bananas make sure there are no big lumps left and the paste is very fine.
- Adding walnuts is optional. You can use any nut of your choice or completely skip adding nuts.
- We don’t want to over-beat the batter, so don’t use an electric mixer or stand mixer. Instead, gently mix the batter manually using a spatula.
- Adjust the amount of sugar as per your taste. With the amount of sugar that I have mentioned in the recipe, the chocolate banana bread will have moderate sweetness.
- Use virgin coconut oil so that you don’t get its taste in the bread. You can also use any other variety of plant-based butter. Just use it in melted form.
- If you use hot coconut oil in the recipe, your banana bread will be more moist and soft.
- Don’t over-bake otherwise your bread won’t turn out moist. The baking time may vary depending upon different factors like your oven, climate, quality of ingredients, etc. So keep an eye on the bread after 40 minutes and bake until it passes the toothpick test.
How to store/ freeze
To store wrap this vegan chocolate banana bread in a cling wrap and put in an airtight container. It will be fine on the countertop for around 2 days (depends on the weather).
In the fridge, it will remain fine for 4-5 days.
If you want to store it for a longer period, cut the slices. Place butter paper between two slices and put in a freezer bag or airtight container. It will be fine for around 3 months.
More easy vegan baking recipes
I am not a baking pro so I make and share only very basic and easy baking recipes on my blog. If you are also like me and looking for easy fail-proof vegan baking recipes, then don’t miss to check the following links:
- Vegan lemon blueberry muffins
- Easy vegan chocolate cake
- Chocolate coffee cookies
- Orange cake
- Snickerdoodle cookies
More easy banana recipes
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
How to make Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread?
Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 4 over ripe bananas medium sized
- 1/4 cup any plant based milk
- 1/2 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan choco chips keep 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup separately
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts you can also use any other nut of your choice
- Peel and put the bananas in a large bowl. Mash well with the help of a masher or fork.
- Add sugar, apple sauce, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, milk, and vanilla extract to the mashed banana. Whisk together.
- In another bowl sift in all the dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently mix together.
- Next, add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Gently fold in.
- Pour into a greased bread pan and gently tap to level evenly. Top with the remaining choco chips.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes at 180°C or until it clears the toothpick test.
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Slice and enjoy!
- Adjust the amount of sugar depending upon your sweetness preference.
- Always use virgin coconut oil in baking if you don't want your dish to taste like coconut.