Simple vegetarian potato soup- a comforting homestyle soup made with just 9 ingredients, including salt, pepper, and water. It's very easy to make, doesn't need any fancy ingredients, and tastes delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
Today's recipe is for all those potato lovers who also love simple, subtle flavors.
The recipe is for a simple vegetarian potato soup.
Most of the potato soup recipes that I generally come across are loaded with cheese and cream. I also love those cheesy soups but make them occasionally on cheat days.
I am more into healthy eating and prefer lighter meals. So, on regular days I make simple potato soup without cream and cheese.
It still tastes delicious and with whomever, I have served it, loved it, and did not complain about missing cream and cheese.
If you also prefer simple recipes, you will definitely love this slightly chunky, slightly creamy vegetarian potato soup.
What goes in this simple vegetarian potato soup?
To make this easy homemade style vegetarian potato soup, you will need only 9 basic ingredients which are shown in the image below:
- Potatoes: I prefer using russet potatoes to soup as they are very starchy. You can use whichever variety is avaialble to you.
- Onion: Preferably white as it doesn't change the color of soup. However, any type of onion can be used, if white is not available.
- Butter: Instead of butter olive can be used too.
How to make (step by step instructions)?
Step 1: Melt butter in a cooking pot.
Step 2: Add finely chopped onion and cook until it starts turning brown.
Step 3: Add minced garlic and saute for about a minute.
Step 4: Add potato cubes and saute for 4-5 minutes.
Step 5: Add water and mix.
Step 6: Cook covered for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are nicely cooked.
Step 7: Mash the potatoes with the help of a masher or ladle.
Step 8 and 9: Add milk and mix.
Step 10: Add salt and ground black pepper.
Step 11: Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring in between.
Step 12: Garnish with chopped spring onion greens.
Your delicious vegetarian potato soup is ready to be enjoyed!
What to serve with potato soup?
This potato soup can be served with toasted bread, a simple mini sandwich, potato wedges, grilled vegetables, or a salad on the side.
To store, allow to reach room temperature, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. Consume within 3 days.
If you are a vegan and want to enjoy a dairy-free version of this soup, just replace butter with olive oil or margarine. Also, use plant-based milk instead of regular milk.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Russet potatoes are the best for this potato soup but use whichever variety is available. The starchier the better.
- Don't skip the step of sauteeing the potatoes for 4-5 minutes before adding water. It makes the soup more flavorful.
- You can also use oven roasted potatoes to make potato soup.
- I have made this soup slightly creamy, slighlty chunky as we prefer it that way. If you prefer a very smooth potato soup, blend it in the end before adding the spring onion greens.
- This a very simple potato soup with subtle flavors and I have flavored it with just garlic, salt and pepper. If you wish to add a kick, add some chili flakes with garlic. You can also add dijon mustard to the soup.
- I have made a light vesion of soup, to make something richer add shredded cheddar to the soup. You can also add cream or sour cream to it.
Frequently asked questions
Russet potatoes are the best for making this potato soup as they are very starchy. However, it can also be made with other varieties of potato.
No, the starch of potatoes is enough to thicken it.
More easy soup recipes
Looking for more easy and simple comforting soup recipes to try at home? The following links are worth trying:
- Cannellini bean soup
- Red cabbage soup
- Tofu noodle soup
- Mushroom tom yum soup
- Trinidad corn soup
- Veg manchow soup
More potato recipes from around the world
I love potatoes and can eat them every single day without getting bored. If you love them too then don't miss checking the following easy potato recipes from around the world:
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Vegetarian potato soup
- 1 Cooking pot
- 4 medium-sized potatoes around 3.5 cups chopped potatoes
- ½ medium-sized white onion finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup chopped spring onion greens optional, for garnishing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5 cups water
- Heat a cooking pot. Add butter and let it melt.
- Add chopped onion and cook until it starts turning brown.
- Add minced garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Next, add potato cubes and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add around 1.5 cups of water. Mix everything. Cover the pot. Cook covered for around 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are nicely cooked.
- Mash the potatoes with a masher or spatula.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper. Mix everything.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and enjoy!
- Saute potato cubes for a few minutes before adding water. It makes this soup more delicious.
- Russet potatoes are the best for this soup but you can use whichever variety is available. A similar soup can also be made with sweet potatoes.
- You may also use oven-roasted potatoes in this soup.
- For adding some heat, use chili flakes.
- You can also add a teaspoon of dijon mustard to the soup for a slight kick.
- Cheese lovers may add shredded cheese to make a cheesy potato soup.
- For a vegan version, use olive oil or a plant-based butter and a plant-based milk.
- More recipe tips are tricks are given in the post above, please follow them to make this recipe.