Spinach corn sandwich- a cheesy grilled sandwich that can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It can also be enjoyed as an appetizer. You will love this sandwich even if you are not a big fan of spinach.
Who doesn't love a grilled sandwich, especially, if it has cheese in it?
Today I am sharing the recipe for a very tasty and easy-to-make grilled spinach corn cheese sandwich.
I love cheese, corn, spinach, and bread so no wonder this is one of my favorite sandwich recipes. However, this sandwich is so delicious that even if you don't like spinach, you will love these cheesy sandwiches.
- What goes in a spinach corn sandwich?
- Ingredient notes
- How to make (step by step photo instructions)?
- Serving spinach corn sandwich
- Reheating the sandwich
- Vegan notes
- Gluten-free notes
- Recipe tips, tricks, and variation suggestions
- Frequently asked questions
- More vegan/ vegetarian sandwich recipes
- More easy corn recipes
What goes in a spinach corn sandwich?
To make this cheesy spinach corn sandwich you will need the ingredients shown in the image below:
- Bread: I have used plain brown bread in this recipe but you can use any sandwich bread of your choice.
- Spinach: In this recipe, I have used regular spinach but baby spinach can also be used. Saute baby spinach for a lesser time.
- Cheese: I have used shredded mozzarella, you can use any melting cheese of your choice. Instead of mixing cheese in the filling, you can also put cheese slices on the bread slice and then put the filling on top of it.
- Seasoning: Feel free to use dried herbs and spices of your choice to flavor the filling.
- Olive oil: I have used olive oil to grill the sandwiches but you can use butter too.
How to make (step by step photo instructions)?
Step 1: Heat a skillet. Add butter and let it melt.
Steps 2 and 3: Add sweet corn kernels and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until the corn kernels are cooked.
Step 4: Add salt, chili flakes, dried oregano, and pepper. Saute for a few more minutes.
Step 5: Add chopped spinach.
Step 6: Cook until the spinach gets wilted.
Step 7: Push the spinach corn mixture towards the edges of the skillet and create some space in the center. Put all-purpose flour in the center.
Step 8: Saute the all-purpose flour for around 2 minutes or until the flour starts changing color.
Steps 9 and 10: Add milk. Stir continuously and cook until the mixture thickens. Switch off the stove.
Step 11: Add shredded cheese and mix.
Step 12: Heat a grill pan or skillet. Brush it with olive oil/ butter.
Step 13: Place a bread slice on the grill pan.
Step 14: Spread some spinach corn filling on top.
Step 15: Cover it with another bread slice and brush it with some olive oil/ butter.
Step 16: Grill from both sides until the bread turns brown and crispy.
Your spinach cheese corn sandwich is ready!
Serving spinach corn sandwich
Being a tea lover who keeps on looking for excuses to have a cup of tea, I love having sandwiches with a cup of tea. Especially, if I am eating it as a breakfast or appetizer.
However, there are many other side dishes that people prefer having with this sandwich. You can get some ideas below:
- Mint chutney
- Coriander tomato chutney
- Baked potato wedges
- Sour cream and onion dip
- Spanish potatoes
- Roasted tomato bell pepper soup
Reheating the sandwich
The best way to reheat this grilled cheese corn sandwich is on a griddle or skillet. Heat on a medium flame from both sides until the cheese starts melting again.
You can also reheat it in a microwave but that generally makes the sandwich soggy.
To make a vegan version of a spinach corn sandwich, replace butter with margarine or olive oil. Also, either skip the cheese completely or use a vegan melting cheese.
Make sure that the bread you are using is vegan.
If you want to create a gluten-free version of this recipe, use sweet rice flour instead of flour in the filling. And, use gluten-free bread to make the sandwich.
Recipe tips, tricks, and variation suggestions
- You can add more vegetables like carrot, green peas, French beans, bell pepper, etc to the stuffing.
- Cheese lovers may increase the amount of cheese and use a combination of different cheeses in the stuffing.
- You can also apply a spread of your choice to the bread slices to add extra flavor.
- Saute the flour properly otherwise, it may taste raw in the filling.
- After adding milk to the filling, stir continuously until it thickens to avoid lump formation.
- You may also add chopped pineapple to the filling to add some sweetness and texture to the sandwich.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can make the stuffing in advance and store it in the fridge for 2-3 minutes. If it becomes too hard, microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it softens.
Though cheese is a key ingredient in this recipe, it can also be made without cheese. The combination of just spinach and corn also tastes good. So, if you don't eat cheese skip it.
More vegan/ vegetarian sandwich recipes
Looking for more easy sandwich recipes? Don't miss to try the following links:
- Vegetarian avocado sandwich with mung bean sprouts
- Beetroot hummus and avocado sandwich
- Vegan Arabic sandwich
- Potato sandwich
More easy corn recipes
If you also love corn and looking for easy corn recipes from around the world then the following recipes are worth trying:
- Trinidad corn soup
- Vegan savory muffins
- Easy corn fritters
- Sweet corn soup
- Chili baby corn
- Corn fried rice
- Easy Indian corn salad
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Spinach corn sandwich
- 8 slices of sandwich bread of choice
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Heat butter in a skillet.
- Add sweet corn kernels and minced garlic. Saute for around 3-4 minutes or until the corn kernels are cooked.
- Add chili flakes, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Saute for another minute.
- Next, add spinach and cook until the leaves get wilted.
- Push the spinach corn mixture towards the edges of the skillet to create some space in the center.
- Add flour in the middle of the skillet and saute for around 2 minutes or until the flour starts changing its color.
- Add milk, keep stirring, and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Switch off the stove and add shredded cheese. Mix everything.
- Heat a grill pan and brush it with some olive oil or butter.
- Put a bread slice on the pan. Spread corn spinach filling on it and cover with another bread slice. Brush the slice with olive oil/ butter. Grill both the sides of sandwich until they turn brown.
- Serve hot with any side dish of choice.
- Saute flour until it starts changing color otherwise, it may taste raw.
- Keep on stirring continuously after adding milk to the flour to avoid lump formation.
- More recipe tips and tricks are given within the post above, please follow them to make this recipe.